Long gone are the days of bulky metal braces, rubber bands and a mountain of embarrassing headgear. In recent years, the technological advancements in braces have not only made this character a thing of the past, but if your child needs braces to fix crooked teeth, you no longer need to worry about him or her being called names associated with wearing metal braces.
Traditional braces use a system of arch wires, brackets, and rubber bands to straighten and realign crooked and misaligned teeth. Self-ligating braces use specialized clips to hold the arch wires in place instead of rubber bands.
Benefits Of Self-Ligating Braces
• Self-ligating braces make it easier to keep your teeth clean because there are no rubber bands. Rubber bands collect food particles, and this can lead to an increase in plaque and decay. Self-ligating braces improve oral health.
• Self-ligating braces are smaller and less noticeable than traditional braces. Most kids are self-conscious about how they look so braces that are subtle and less conspicuous are a huge draw.
• Self-ligating braces are more comfortable than traditional braces. Less pressure and friction are placed on the teeth. These types of braces also need fewer alterations and adjustments, so you will make fewer appointments to our office.
• Self-ligating braces move crooked teeth into place more quickly than traditional braces. With self-ligating braces that do not use ligatures or wires, the friction is significantly reduced during the tooth movement. This allows natural, gentler and faster tooth movement that leads to quicker treatment time.
• Self-ligating come in clear and metal styles.
Our office is proud to offer self-ligating braces as an alternative to traditional metal braces. Ask our team if they are right for you by giving us a call at 203-513-2014.