Let me answer a popular question we are frequently asked at Feinberg Orthodontics by our parents in the Shelton, Stratford, Trumbull, Monroe area when considering orthodontics for their children. “When is the best time to have my child seen by an orthodontist?
Orthodontics is the specialty of dentistry dedicated to realigning your teeth into a beautiful smile, aka… moving your teeth and even jaw from a less favorable position to the most favorable position possible. Orthodontic treatment is beneficial at any point in someone’s life but there are more advantageous times than others when it comes to shifting teeth. The juvenile and adolescent growth spurts(age 8-12) can be a very significant and beneficial time to provide orthodontic intervention. Continue reading Did You Know Clay Sculptures and Orthodontics Have A lot In Common?
What Can Go Wrong at an Early Age?
As a parent, you may believe that you can look at your child and see if there is a problem with their bite. If the problem is very obvious, than perhaps it will be possible. However, in most instances it is prudent to rely on the trained eyes of a specialist to detect a problem. And this is why it is important for a child to see an orthodontist for an exam.
Here are some of the possible problems that can go wrong at an early age:
- Difficulty with chewing and/or biting
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Teeth that are crowded, misplaced, or have been blocked out
- Upper and lower teeth that do not meet properly
- Improper jaw alignment
- Impacted teeth
- Severe crowding, with stripping of the teeth through the gum tissue
- Tongue thrusting and grinding or clenching of teeth Continue reading 10 Early Orthodontic Warning Signs Every Parent Should Know